Exotic pets are more common in the UK and need a much wider range of knowledge than just treating more common household pets.
Our vet Stan Livy has been deeply involved with all exotic species for the last 12 years and we currently see cases from as far afield as London. He has also completed a European SVPS Certificate in Exotic Animal Practice
He has published articles on Avian and Gerbil orthopaedics and is currently working on Hyperthyroidism in Chinchillas.
We have specific medical and surgical experience with:
- All Bird types: Birds of Prey, Parrots, Game/Poultry especially chickens, Passerines and Wildlife.
- Most common and some uncommon mammal species covering a spectra from Pigs, ferrets, rodents, hystricomorphs, and commonly kept marsupials.
- Commonly kept reptiles eg. Bearded Dragons, Bosc Monitors, Chameleons, Geckos, Skinks.
- Common and less common Tortoises and Terrapin species.
- Snakes: all commonly kept species. We are also familiar with DWA legislation and can advise when required. Cases involving DWA species especially venomous species will require discussion prior to presentation.
- Amphibia and invertebrates: Axolotls, Fish, Exotic Frogs and Toads, Giant African Land Snails and Tarantulas
We also have specific equipment such as low flow anaesthetic systems, ventilators and cautery to deal with the unique challenges these species pose when undergoing treatments or surgery.
As exotic species have differing needs to other pet species we will try and tailor your appointment in order to minimise stress to the animal species concerned and give you and your animal the best service we can.
We are also happy to see referral cases for difficult or unresponsive cases from other practices.
Register with us online
Please fill in the form, or come and have a chat to us in person!
Why Trust Us
Caring For Your Pet
We can meet your pet’s every need, from the first puppy or kitten (and bunny or gecko!) health check, through preventative care, to the most complicated investigation and treatment when they are unwell. We have the advanced facilities and expert knowledge you may expect from a much larger practice, and yet our small size allows us to retain the friendly, comfortable, and caring atmosphere we are known for.
Emergencies Out of Hours
Contact Vets Now Bournemouth on 01202 859 933